So at 25 weeks I had my GTT. Now if your going to ask what a GTT is it means Glucose Tolerance Test. It's a test done on pregnant women to test the amount of glucose in the blood and how well your body is working at getting rid of Glucose. The test is done to see if pregnant women are at risk of developing Gestational Diabetes. If you have gestational diabetes the main concern is that your unborn baby will grow larger and make a natural delivery more complicated and harder.
They normally arrange a GTT for between 24 and 28 weeks of pregnancy. I had mine at 25 weeks. I had to be up and at the hospital by 9am, so that I could have blood taken and then drink this glucose drink which was orangey but horrid. Then it was just waiting. Waiting, and more waiting. I had 2 hours to pass till they took the others bloods and time just seemed to drag. I listened to my music, played on my phone, read some of my book. In the end I ended up on facebook and a game killing my iPhone battery.
I felt kind of sick towards the end and I just had to keep willing myself to get through it because I knew if I was sick then I'd have to come back for another GTT and I really didn't want to because for me it was bad enough getting up early for it once never mind twice. When my little miss is here I won't mind being up early because I'll have a reason to get up then. I'll have a beautiful little girl to wake up too. After what seemed like forever they called me to have my second set of bloods and then I could go home. I just had to wait until Thursday tea time. If they called me by then it meant that my result was positive and I had to go back to find out what would happen. However if they didn't call it meant my result was fine and I hadn't developed Gestational Diabetes.
Now since the beginning of my pregnancy I've been adamant that something is going to go wrong for me. Call it a gut feeling. When I first fell pregnant I had a gut feeling I was having a girl and I was right. So my gut feeling had to be right this time. I was sure that this is what would go wrong. I just knew it in my head. I was lucky I guess. I had no phone call I even phoned them on Friday morning and my result was fine I could finally relax and look forward to seeing my little miss at my growth scan.
No comments:
Post a Comment