Tuesday, 10 June 2014

Anthony Nolan

  Anthony Nolan are a charity who help adults and children with blood disorders and cancer by helping them find a match to there blood or bone marrow for life saving transplants.

    It all began in 1974. With her three-year-old son Anthony in urgent need of a bone marrow transplant, Shirley Nolan set up the world's first register to match donors with people in desperate need. 

Now, we help three people each day find that lifesaving match. 
We also conduct world-class research into stem cell matching and transplants, so we can make sure every person in need gets the best possible treatment.

So that's who Anthony Nolan are.


   They also offer a cord blood banking service where when your new baby is born they come in and take the placenta so that they can extract the cord blood which has life-saving stem cells in which are then sent to the cord bank in Nottingham. At the moment this service can only be offered in a few hospitals around the country. If you want to check if it is offered near you just click on the link below:

http://www.anthonynolan.org/8-ways-you-could-save-life/donate-your-umbilical-cord-blood

So why did I choose to Donate?

   I have chosen to donate my daughters cord blood because of how I have been affected. Now I know that cord blood wouldn't have helped 2 of my family t members who had cancer. My nan who passed away April 2013 and my aunt Marj who passed away April 2010...

But I have also seen what it does to families who loose there children because there aren't enough matches out there. The special thing about cord blood is it hasn't been given its purpose yet. It can be used for anything and it gives someone a chance. A chance at life. My daughter has a life from the moment she's born. There are families out there who could be on the brink of loosing there children and cord blood is there last option. My daughter is going to help 2 people just by being born. I don't have to do anything except sign the forms. Why just throw it away when it can be used for something good before hand.




No comments:

Post a Comment